If you’re fresh out of college or high school and looking to start your career, or you’re further along but ready for a career change, the natural gas and oil industry has many exciting opportunities for people of all ages, career levels and educational backgrounds. With nearly 1.9 million job opportunities projected in the oil & natural gas and petrochemical industries through 2035, the industry has opportunities at all levels of educational experience. Many of these opportunities are interesting and innovative tech jobs.
This year, invest in yourself and put your career goals front and center. If you’re ready to try something new, here are some great options:
- Petroleum Engineer Petroleum engineers design techniques for extracting natural gas and oil from the earth. This is one of the fastest growing-careers in the U.S.
- Geoscientist Petroleum geologists have the important task of surveying and studying the earth to learn where natural gas and oil can be extracted.
- Rotary Drill and Gas Operators Working closely with geoscientists and petroleum engineers, drill operators dig the wells from which natural gas and oil are extracted.
- Data Scientist In the digital age, data has become an integral component of decision making in the natural gas and oil industry, informing everything from customer behaviors to industry trends. Data scientists are the gatekeepers of this important information. Last year, Glassdoor rated this as the best job in America.
- App Developer With nearly 3 billion smartphone users in the world, it’s no wonder that app development is a hot career path right now. Every industry, including oil and natural gas, uses this technology as a way to communicate news, service offerings and general information to their consumers.